E-book conversion services are growing rapidly as more people are switching from physical books to digital versions. In fact, Amazon recently reported that the company sold more e-books than print books.
There are a number of technical steps involved in publishing an ebook. As a result, many authors and publishers seek the services of a specialized e-book conversion company to help them through the process.
To find the right e-book publishing company for your needs, make a list of the items you need to do and identify the items you need to help them. This will help you find a company that meets your needs.
What ebook conversion services do you need?
Here are some questions to ask yourself to help identify tasks you may need help with:
- Have an entire manuscript that you need to convert to an e-book format, such as the epub file format? Or do you need someone to design your original files?
- Do you need to design a cover?
- Has your book been properly edited or does it need an editorial review?
- To which readers would you like your eBook to be published? Some examples of readers are the Apple iPad, the Amazon Kindle, the Barnes & Noble Nook, and the Sony Reader.
- Will you also print physical copies of your book?
What services does the e-book conversion company offer?
There are several important areas that you need to make sure your service provider can handle:
- Can the company process its source files? A full-service e-book conversion service provider should be able to work with a variety of input formats, including PDF, Word, Text, In Design, Adobe, and other file formats. You want to make sure the company has experience working with your particular file format.
- Can the company create files for the reading devices it wants to support? Different readers use different file formats. For example, iPad, Nook, and Sony Reader use the epub file format, while the Kindle uses the azw file format.
- Can the company help you with other services you need? There are a number of related e-book conversion services offered by experienced companies. Examples of these services include designing your manuscript to look good to the reader, designing your book cover, and submitting your e-book to online stores like iTunes and Amazon.
How do you feel about the business relationship?
Although the mechanics of the process are important, don’t forget the business relationship. You want to make sure you work for a service-oriented company, dedicated to providing quality work, offering reasonable prices, and able to deliver on time.
Here are some things to consider:
- Prices. Price is important, but the “you get what you pay for” principle applies. Therefore, you do not necessarily have to choose the cheapest provider. You can usually save a lot of money by looking for a provider abroad. The Philippines is a great place to look for e-book conversion providers because English is an official language in that country.
- Customer service. Is the company dedicated to customer service? If you’re looking for a supplier overseas, find out if they have a US production manager that you can talk to during US business hours.
- Reputation and experience. Are you talking to a real company or an individual with a website? Does the company have experience in the areas you need help with?
By doing a little research and asking the right questions, you should be able to find an ebook conversion service company that is right for you.